Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day Twenty-one


I followed Zig out of the shelter around 8:00 a.m. It was spitting rain and he wanted to wait. I found out he’s a retired postal employee like me! What a hoot!
Slow Joe's 
Of course he left me behind in a hurry but it was a nice hike and I got to NOC, Nantahala Outdoor Center in about 6 miles. Bob & Zig were already here and we couldn’t check in until 3 p.m. It’s a really nice resort area. It has a restaurant called River End and an Outfitter store that I did not visit. It also had a bar, Slow Joe’s, a white water rafting place and then up the hill is a place with buildings, mess hall and showers for the overnight thru hikers. I took my boots off, put my crocs on and waded into the water. I say waded, but I only went up to my ankles. It was cold! The Nantahala River runs right through the middle of it. Man, it felt good. We all sat around until 3:00 p.m. check in and when we did they told us that they separate the genders. I looked at Zig Foot and said, “Did you hear that? You won’t have to hear me snore tonight.”  He grinned and said, “There is a God.”  He and I caught a shuttle into Bryson City and we bought some stuff. I got wine and shampoo and when we got back I said I was going to eat. He said he was ready to eat again, and that ole guy treated me to dinner. Bless his heart. It made me cry. I guess he really appreciated me picking up his sleeping pad and pack cover. We climbed back up the hill. (Oh, and I’m adding all this footage up to my total when I add up my hiking mileage, you better believe it!). About the time I was ready for my shower, a dozen little girls beat me to the bathroom, so I went up to visit the guys. On my way, I saw Joshua. I guess he was here for the night. I was talking with him and I met Joe. He’s here with his son and daughter, Taylor. She has the room next to mine, and they put three other little girls in her room. These two were in and out, and I asked the son, Jake, if his dad had dinner ready. He told me, “Not yet.” I said something about it not being very long now and he said, “I know, right?” Just like my grandson, Grant! They are both fourteen, thousands of miles apart. Unbelievable.
Anyway, I was still waiting on the showers, hanging around the kitchen and Joe offered me a pork chop. I didn’t think I was hungry, but they did look good so I took one and ate it right off the bone, with my fingers- and my wine. It was delicious! Thanks Joe!



I’m off to Bryson City tomorrow to sit at the hospital for a zero mile day and get my medicine because the hospital in Hiawassee never sent my INR to my doctor. Shit!

3 comments:

  1. Theresa & I have white water rafted, stayed in Yurts, and rode my Harley that I used to have up to Nantahala....AWESOME AREA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe girlfriend! Wondered why you didn't respond when I was in KC on the 21st....
    Love you kid! Hang in there...
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tripper you are a brave sole. Are you walking a trail or are you bar hopping or both.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete