Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day Twenty


On the trail. Amy, Jeff and I camped at Wayah Crest picnic area. I started a little fire. Of course I was first up, after that early morning potty break. I just can’t go to bed. Amy & Jeff took off and that was the last I saw of them until we met at Wayah Bald stone observation tower. They decided to head back so they wouldn’t have to hike 11 miles on Monday. I ain’t mad at them. I’m so glad they came and hiked with me. Amy even brought me a flask of Jameson’s.
*Note to hikers: Pack a pint of Jameson’s. It’s great for sipping around the campfire.
Amy & Jeff are going to camp a couple of miles south of the tower. I hiked on into Wayah Shelter and guess who is here. Bob, Zig foot, J2, Swamp Donkey (I changed it to Swamp Ass) and Gandolph. I didn’t have much to say about him before, but a guy stopped at the shelter with a guitar and Gandolph played wonderfully while the owner ate. I was very impressed. The water was quite far from the shelter so J2 said he’d go with me. Such a nice guy. I’m older than his parents and he is so sweet. He used to be a boy scout. He’s taking off tomorrow and I don’t think I’ll see him again because he can really move. We got enough firewood to have a really nice fire. We’re just waiting for this group of men to finish their dinners so we can move in. That Zig Foot would not let me get water for him so I brought back my pro filtered bag and he wouldn’t use it. He is so silly. 

I’m sitting here at Tellico Gap. It’s a power line parking area. I took off my boots and smoked the other cig. I KNOW!
Watched some guys in a truck unload their packs into another truck and take off. They waved at me. Then I watched a lost fat bumblebee. He must have been lost because he kept going around and around looking for a flower and not finding one. I’ll bet he hung out for a good two minutes before he gave up.  I’ve got two miles to go before I get to Wesser Bald Shelter.
Unfortunately, it’s about a 500 foot climb over 2 miles, that shouldn’t be too bad.
I passed a water sign on my way to the shelter and I thought “Hmmm… maybe this is the water source.”
But did I stop? Noooo, I kept on going and when I got there, Zig Foot says, “ Hey Tripper, you want the good news or the bad news?”
I said, “Rats, that was the stinking water source?”
Oh, he and Booger Bob thought that was sooooo funny. We started talking about the day’s hike and they asked how I liked the tower.  Tower? I missed the tower. I saw the rocks that looked like a great place to sit so I did. I saw a lookout and I saw the trail. After I looked out I hit the trail and missed the damned tower. That’s 2 out of 3 that I missed and I could have seen Fontana Dam from there. I missed the damned dam.  Then these two kids came to the shelter and this one said he killed a rattlesnake with his slingshot and he was going to clean it and eat it! I think I’ve had rattlesnake before- it tastes like chicken. (editor note: Bwhahahahahaha).
Zig Foot said he’d walk back up the hill with me to get water. The guidebook said it was .1 mile but it was all uphill. I am not very happy with North Carolina but I’m going to withhold my opinion until I am clear of this state! That kid was up there by the water source cleaning that snake! YUK!

A thirsty flutterby
I forgot to mention at Tellico Gap this man pulled up in a Jeep with a family and he approached me  and said, “I’ve got water and snacks if you’d like some.” I passed on the snacks but I drank a bottle of water. (no streams in North Carolina- more later) and shot the breeze with him while the family wandered around. Nice man. Everyone I’ve met has been really nice, even in N.C. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the pic of the butterfly! Hope you're having a blast!
    I've been reading Zigfoot's trail journals.

    ReplyDelete