Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day Twenty-five


Morning conversation
Tripper: Bob, would you mind handing me my stove and coffee so I don’t have to get out of my sleeping bag?
Zigfoot: Sounds like you got used to that hotel living.
Bob: I don’t mind. I’m gonna get a cigarette out of the deal!
Tripper: That cigarette is sitting right there waiting for you! (Pause) I slept pretty good after I warmed up.
Zigfoot: You never missed a beat.
I guess since he bought me dinner, he can go back to giving me shit about my snoring.
Today was a 9 mile day with lots of ups and downs. I had to climb over 5 trees just from Sassafras Gap to this shelter. Where are the volunteers who take care of the AT?



Brown Fork Gap shelter
Ever since I made it to NC, I have been disappointed. There are no brooms in the shelters so you can’t sweep them out. No wood chips in the privies, like in Georgia. No bear lines.(Editor thinks the bears stole them all) Did I just get spoiled in Georgia or does North Carolina need some volunteers? This shelter has about two feet of the floor missing across the front of the shelter and no place to sit and eat. Although here the water source is close and not a ½ mile away uphill like some of the others. The trail is poorly maintained. There are a number of places where logs should be placed so to act like stairs. NC has good signs, as does NOC, but I’ve found little to like about the AT here.

No comments:

Post a Comment