Monday, June 11, 2012

Day Twenty-two


NOT on the trail. My day started kinda crazy. The card I had for my room wouldn’t open the door. So I had to hike all the way down the hill to the office and, yes, I am adding those miles to my total and got my card recoded. Weird, huh? Back up the hill, and when I finished packing I found another card! I have no idea how I could have picked up someone else's card!
I called the two numbers I got from Zig Foot for a shuttle to Bryson City. The first one was no longer in service and the second said she had a flat tire and couldn't help me until tomorrow. So I went down to the Outfitter store (and I didn't buy one thing) and asked them how to get to the hospital in Bryson City. They told me to make a sign and stand out front with my pack on and someone would pick me up. OMG!
Well... I did and this really nice young man name Ryan picked me up! I sent him in the wrong direction to begin with because when he programmed his GPS in his car, he had to turn around. I really do NOT like being directionally challenged. He had just come off the trail and had picked up his car. He was going to grab a shower at NOC and some lunch. He had another whole day to get back home. The guy hiked over 120 miles in less than a week! I was so impressed! Neither one of us realized how far it was to the hospital, but he brought me right to the front door, so I gave him $20.00, thanked him and said I'd buy his lunch and a beer. 
He thought he might sit by the water and while away the day and even do some white water rafting. I want to do that! I'll wait for Lyle, though. 
Swain County Hospital got the order from my doctor in a hurry and drew my blood. They said it would be a couple of hours before they got the results, so I took off down the hill. There is a cute little part of Bryson City with a train station and a museum of Lionel trains, a couple of gift shops, an ice cream parlor and a Dollar General. 
The Cottage Craftsmen is where I bought a cute little piece of pottery and shipped it home. I took several pictures.
Nantahala River
 I am currently sitting outside Tuckasegee Tavern having a rum runner, sitting at a picnic table and having a lovely afternoon. This AT trail has turned me into a hitch hiking, toilet paper stealing, money spending, afternoon drinking grammy!
Non smiling old guy






















I am SO BRAVE! I guess I'll make another sign saying NOC and try to head in the right direction and see what happens. This is the best! I'm also gonna get a lemonade for the walk back up the hill to the hospital.
 The old guy in the photo in front of the tavern wouldn't even smile at me. That's why I took his picture. 
I'll bet I walked 5 miles around the town of Bryson City. It has been a fun 'down' day. No, I won't be adding that to my mileage, because it doesn't count if I'm not on the trail backpacking. And for some reason my debit card doesn't work! I don't know what the heck is going on, but I hope it was Bryson City and not my card. I weighed myself and I've lost 7 1/2 pounds. Whoo Hoo! I do think my body looks better, of course that could be wishful thinking. 
I'm just waiting for the doctors on call in K.C. Come on docs, light a fire under yourselves, I've got trails to burn!
Grrrr, the pharmacy was closed and the shuttle didn't run into town that late. I hitched my pack and headed into town. I got a room and went to Mickey's Pub. They didn't have any food, but Adam made great rum runners. I flirted with some guy named Geno who said he was the "last nice guy". It was a great place with all these bras hanging all over. (Editor's note: Lovely. My Aunt Tripper is drinking in a frat house. Did you lose your sports bra, Tripper?)

Adam said that when a girl gives up her bra, she gets a free shot. I was hungry, so I didn't stay. I walked a couple of blocks toward my hotel and came upon Jimmy Mac's Restaurant. OMG! It was so quaint with old photos in frames with beveled glass. There was some antique furniture, old jugs and some old crocks in a back corner. My salad had homeade croutons. I ordered shrimp stuffed with crab meat and a loaded baked potato. There weren't any bacon bits- they were strips of bacon! I also had fresh green beans and Mondavi merlot. I ate for an hour. I am no longer disappointed I didn't make NOC tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment