Friday, June 8, 2012

Day Eighteen


Hiked 4 ½ miles and ended up on a road. I guess I could have turned around and headed back into the woods but I decided to walk on down toward Franklin. It was nice. There was a beautiful little community down over the side of the road and there were three older ladies just walking and a talking in their North Carolina accents.
I only walked about a mile when this couple picked me up in their minivan. Eric & April had been camping and the van was loaded, but they worked my pack and me in. They have 3 beautiful children and the baby was blonde with the biggest blue eyes I ever saw. They dropped me at the drugstore right between Sonic and Three Eagles Outfitters and even turned around and came back once they realized I had left my poles in their van. Such nice people!
I ate good at Sonic then went to Three Eagles Outfitters and got my Camel back, some gloves and some fuel. I then caught a taxi to Hampton Inn. Wow, was that nice! I walked down to the strip mall in my Frogger gear and crocs to do laundry and shopping. I plugged my poor dead phone in. I’m sure I was quite a sight. The night manager even said something to Laurie about me and Laurie told her who I was. (Apparently Tripper is kind of a big deal on the AT).
 I finished my laundry and shopping, so I bought some crackers and a bottle of Yellowtail merlot. On my way through the lobby I snagged some tea, cocoa and Splenda to add to my food supply. I called everyone I knew. Once they arrived, Amy, Jeff and I sat outside, drinking their beer and finishing off my wine. 

1 comment: