Day 13
5/20/12
Caught the shuttle with Sally. She and her partner, Joyce,
own property here and run a shuttle to town and back for extra income. Nice
lady. Everyone has been so nice and friendly. There’s a man named Yogi who has
set up camp right here at Dick’s Creek Gap. He’s just been living off of what
the hikers give him. He offered me a beer at 10:00 a.m. this morning. Funny
guy.
Sally picked up his trash to take back to town. She said she
liked me and that I had “moxie.” I hadn’t heard that phrase for a long time.
The next morning I took off and felt very brave.
Note to self- keep a list of names I have been called while
on this trail. Oh, the guy with the gauges in his ears called me ‘Sugar’ as he
went by. Yuk.
I took some time getting to Plum Orchard Shelter. Only passed
a couple of people. Now there are people that are heading in the opposite
direction. I don’t pass anyone, but I had about 4 people pass me on the way. I
only had about 4 ½ miles to go today so I took my time and took lots of pictures.
The two logs used to be a tree that they cut because it fell on the trail. I like to sit and rest on these. Flowers, flowers everywhere. This one huge tree had fallen and they had to repair the trail with trees and rocks. I hadn’t shown the signs before but they are all like this. Even I can understand them. After Gandolph passed me, there was this ENT (from Tolkiens trilogy) that stopped in the trail for a break. This was the water source for this shelter.



No comments:
Post a Comment