We’ve had lots of visitors today. Geezer and Kaleigh- he
said it means ‘hiking pole’. (Somebody look it up, please)
I was traveling so slow that the guy with arthritis and
asthma passed me TWICE! Bob just confessed that he is carrying corduroy pants.
We all laughed at that.
I am now wearing all the extra clothes I was going to mail
home… I think I’ve finally gotten warm.
Taking off my Big Dick’s cap and switching it for my Alaska hat with the flaps
made all the difference.
Well I just found out that the dramatic ending to this
Appalachian Trail is called The Knife’s Edge. Knife’s Edge is a 3 foot wide
rocky something or other with a drop off on either side. It involves a mountain scaling thing that you
have to climb up a metal ladder, etc. I’m not a mountain climber, heck, I’m not
even a hiker so I’ll save the drama for someone else.
My plan is to get to Gooch Mountain shelter tomorrow
(7 miles), then to Woody Gap at GA 60, the day after (5 miles). I will catch a ride there and then go to Neels
Gap. Apparently the bears are aggressive between those two points over Blood
Mountain. Perhaps that is how Blood Mountain got its name. These bears have
been known to steal your food if it is not in a bear canister, and THEN they
try to hard sell you a bear canister. Even after they’ve stolen your food! Now
that IS aggressive. Neels Gap is where the trail goes right through the town. I
can mail home my extra stuff, sell, trade or mail home that effing tent. I am
also planning to spend the night and wash my clothes and body. That’s the group
plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment