Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day Seven


I saw some hunters with blood hounds on the trail today. The dogs wore radio collars. They hunt the bears, but they don’t shoot them. There’s a name for it, but I don’t remember what they call it. Really, why would you hunt bears but not shoot them? Are you just offering up dogs as chewy bear treats?
On the trail… I only had 5 miles to go today. To just be able to walk through the woods without a care in the world. Because it is so dark in some places, I kept thinking “Lions and tigers and bears- Oh my!”
The Wizard of Oz is my favorite film of all time. Momma said I modeled my life after that storyline. I think I’ve grown up since then, though. I met three men from Georgia, hiking through Georgia. The younger one was teaching the other two about hiking. I told them I would mention them in my blog because They were “Stud Muffins”. You know who you are.
The trail leads through Woody Gap and over Blood Mountain. The bears are kind of aggressive on Blood Mountain and it is a hard hike. I decided not to hike that part so I stopped at Woody Gap and caught a ride with a couple and their German Sheppard, Katie. They had just finished a day hike. They drove me all the way to Neels Gap, 10 miles down the road. I am staying at a hostel here. I bought a one man tent, took a shower, did laundry and I’m gonna ship home some unneeded stuff. I couldn’t believe all the peole who made it over Blood Mountain today!

No comments:

Post a Comment