Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day one

Day one:
I forgot to get writing paper, so my brother in law provided some for me- won't fit in my bag.
 To make matters worse, he spilled coffee on me while we were driving to the drop off spot. One last attempt to keep me from my mission, I suppose. Unfortunately for him, I like the smell of coffee.

We met up with my niece, Amy.
 She brought me to Amicalola Falls, which is a hike in spot to the trail head. This will be good practice.
Once I checked in with the park guide, I was told that I would need to hike the 600 stairs to the top to pick up my trail. I did NOT get that memo.
http://www.takemytrip.com/06appalachian/06_01a.htm

As I was saying good-bye to Amy, I cavalierly threw my pack onto my back and stumbled backward a slight bit. I tried to play it off, but Amy witnessed the stumble and promptly threatened to throw me and my pack back into her car and drive our butts back to Atlanta to wait for Lyle to pick us up in two weeks.
Uh, no thanks.
And off we go!

Those stairs just about killed me. About two miles in, I set up camp and took a lovely two hour nap.
First commandment from Tripper's travel bible:
 I shall not should on myself.
Take from it what you will.

I met 35-40 new people today, all of them nice. That is reassuring.

I ended up camping next to Ely from New Mexico. Thank you, Ely, for the warnings, information and the company.
I hope to make it to the trailhead tomorrow, if not, oh well. I've got a little down time. No deadlines.
Ely told me to come over tonight if I get scared, lol!
I'm just looking forward to the Super Moon tonight. What a wonderful way to start off this adventure!




1 comment:

  1. Dear Aunt Susie,

    It was a bit difficult to watch you away on trail. I was part worried for you and part envious. I wanted to hike with you, but I had to head home. I knew if I had worn decent shoes I would have taken off with you.

    Love you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete