I had breakfast with an older man. He started talking to me,
so I moved over to his table. He worked for the airlines and was a veteran of
the Korean war. He also told me about
this gorgeous house in Hiawassee- more about that later.
Gene ‘shuttles’ picked me up and brought me back to Unicoli
Gap. Yosemite Sam said he will meet me at Tray Mountain Shelter.
When I took a trail break at Indian Grave Gap, I was witness
to two butterflies, playing around a cold campfire.
It took 6 ½ miles to get to Tray Mountain Shelter, and I
hike about 1 mile an hour. I felt a sprinkle, so I whipped out my pack cover,
but it seemed too warm for the Frogger gear. It then began to thunder like
crazy. I could see the thunder cloud over the other mountain. Booger Bob was at
the shelter. Apparently his knee was giving him a bad time. He had spent the
day gathering firewood, so we had a very nice fire. He offered me some pot, so
I tried it and it made me cough. Yuk. I didn’t like it 30 years ago, and I
still don’t, it makes my throat hurt. I’ll just stick with cigarettes, thank
you.
When I read that the shelters have mice, I decided that I
wouldn’t stay in them, I’d just camp by them. Well, that was before day three,
when I got soaked in a thunderstorm. Now
I hike from shelter to shelter, and I always have company. I usually also have a camp fire too, if it
isn’t raining. The shelters are three sided buildings, built by volunteers. The
materials used to build these shelters have been air lifted in, due to the
rugged terrain. It is nice waking up to the open air, and so far, I haven’t
seen one mouse. 
I have learned to sleep with my head lamp around my neck, since I have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. I also keep my lighter tucked in my bra, so I can have coffee in bed in the mornings. I just put my little stove beside me (if there is room) and fire it up. I had to get new camp shoes since I tripped and broke the strap on my flip flops. I had to tie the flip flop to my foot with a bandanna for a few days. I LOVE the Appalachian Trail! It is plainly marked, so I don’t get lost. The shelters are dry and a welcome sight at the end of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment