Stayed at Springer Mountain shelter last night. It was a
quite a storm.
Rain or mice?
Rain or mice?
I took the mice because everything is still wet, but luckily
we didn’t see any mice.
Today’s nature inventory:
A tree with bright orange flowers.
Mushrooms with mauve tops. (editor’s note: Sure they were mauve, Tripper…)
A 2 ½ inch salamander in a very pretty shade of orange
I saw hundreds of little white flowers all over the ground,
as well a a bunch of white flowers that were the size of quarters.
I passed through a tropical style area where the flowers looked
like they came off a tulip tree. They had yellow leaves with orange centers
with a dab of light green in the center. They reminded me of my dad’s tulip
tree when we were growing up.
I also saw leaves with little spots on them. The spots were
dark pink edged with light pink centers. There are all kinds of rocks; agates
to quartz to fools’ gold.
I stopped by to see Long Creek Falls. This guy at the falls
asked me if he could lift my pack, I said ‘Sure’. After he lifted it, he turned
to his wife and said “About 60 lbs.” I did NOT want to know how much it
weighed! Those three miles to this shelter were hell! All I could think about was
how heavy my pack is. And everything is heavier when it is wet. I kept thinking
about all the things I’m gonna ship back to Lyle when I get to Neel’s Gap; 2
hats, sunglasses, extra shoes, clothes, all those pairs of little white socks
that I used to wipe out my tent. Oh yeah, and that stinkin’ two man tent that
Bub wanted me to buy. I’m either going to mail it home or trade it.
Later, I made it to Hawk Mountain shelter. Me and five guys.
They were setting up for a campfire. YES!
I had hiked 7.5 miles today, and that was enough. The sun is
going down and it is getting cold.
Note to hikers: Buy your boots ½ size larger to avoid ‘boot
bump’ and get those boots sealed against water! Be sure to purchase a pack
cover for your back pack- and pack LIGHT!
Dear Aunt Susie, don't eat ANY color mushrooms on the trail!
ReplyDeleteLove Jennifer
Susie you need to keep the tent I think Bruce wants it.
ReplyDeleteHi Grammy
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's Day! It sounds so beautiful! Can't wait to day hike. Keep the tent. The rats are bigger in New York. The kids are coming with me. They can sleep/play in it then we will give to Uncle Bruce. I want a camp fire in the AT. Don't think of your pack as heavy. It couldn't have been that heavy....the airline would have charged you extra. His muscles must be weighed down with rain water too. Can't wait to see you
Love Tanya