Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Off the trail


I’m off the trail now. I just enjoyed Richmond, VA. I mean, I knew at the most, I wouldn’t get to hike the whole Appalachian Trail, what with all the delays. First, my husband wanting me to wait until April, then my brother and his surgery in mid-April. I started way late in early May. I knew then that I wouldn’t get to do it all. But Lyle and I planned this trip until November and I always felt that if I didn’t do it this year that I wouldn’t have another opportunity to do it. I felt that way until I met Rangely. She convinced me that the AT really wasn’t meant to be hiked all the way through. To do that, you miss too much, the beauty of the forests along the way. Each and every shelter has its own uniqueness. The people are so fun and different with every walk of life and sense of humor. I would have already missed so much if I hadn’t been a ‘shelter hopper’. The woman who hiked it in 45 days and had people meeting her every night couldn’t possibly have enjoyed the sunrises or sunsets over the mountains, or the part about missing real food and flush toilets. I met a park ranger in the Smokies who said she did it in 5 ½ months. I wonder if she identified any wild flowers or enjoyed any of the little towns along the way.
I am not done with the Appalachian Trail. I haven’t seen enough or hiked enough. After Washington, DC, we’re going to Harpers Ferry, the midway point and the headquarters for the AT. I’d like to hike into and out of there, even if they are only day hikes, and then to Maine and Katahdin. No, I’m not through with the AT, not yet. What I don’t get to hike this year, I’ll be back, maybe with Rangely. At least I hope she’ll call and let me know her plans, I think she will.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful, all the people you met along the way. I know you will do it again next year and some more this year. I am so proud of you. I hope when us girls get together again, you are able to be there. Can't wait to hear the stories that did not make it here.

    Ginnie

    ReplyDelete