On the trail
I got a late start out of Hot Springs, but Lyle hiked with
me until noon. We met a nice couple, Lindsey & Chester, with their dog,
Sheba, and visited for awhile. Really neat people. It was hot, but not too bad
since the trail goes over the guardrail and along the French Broad River- right
across where we camped in the RV. Lyle went with me about 3 ½ miles because
right after we parted I got to Pump Gap. It had a sign that said a group had
planted wildflowers and such along the trail and I had to fight my way through
those wildflowers that were chest high and very thick. I did not enjoy it.
I met a young man named Matt who was mushroom hunting. He
told me all about Bolete mushrooms and how they have a solid surface instead of
gills underneath. He dries them and puts
them in his food. You have to be careful, of course, and when you cut them,
they should show red or blue. He was young, with long hair and a baseball cap.
He was excited about mushrooming and he liked to share his knowledge. He said
“Free food.” I identified some Bolete mushrooms on the way but will need to do
some research before I collect them. I stopped and rested 50 paces before I
came to a pretty little pond with a bench, so I sat anyway.
I ran into a man who asked how I was and I said ‘Good”. He
responded, “It’s always a good day when you are on the trail.”
I followed the gravel road to Mill Ridge where a man said
the Appalachian Trail went the other way. He pronounced all the “A’s” short but
held them for a long time. Then I passed the trail going into the woods and was
walking back when he passed me in his truck and told me it all ended up at the
same place at the end of this road. I looked but could not find a way down so I
started back down the road when here comes Matt in his truck. He told me the
same thing and I told him I couldn’t find it. So I asked him if he would give
me a ride because it was getting dark quick.
I grabbed some food out of my food bag and hung it. Then I
set my tent up in the dark. Man, it felt good to lie down. I had my snacks and
water. I’d grabbed the shelter log and found Salesman and Bunny. Salesman had also signed his name on a little
sign I saw coming through. I didn’t see Bob or Zigfoot but I remember that they
didn’t often sign the logs. I hope Bob’s caught up with Salesman by now, that’d
be great! Hiked 11 miles, climbed 2500 feet!
No comments:
Post a Comment