Monday, August 27, 2012

AT conservancy


Wednesday we drove to the little town outside Harper’s Ferry to the RV camp. There was nothing but dirt so the next day we went to the Harper’s Ferry National Park, caught the trolley and went into Harper’s Ferry. It’s a really neat little town, lots of history about the Civil War. We walked all over and into the little shops, read all the history in the windows. We ate at a place that served wine and Reuben sandwiches with coleslaw instead of sauerkraut. It was really good. They also wanted to put a hash brown patty on it but I wouldn’t let them.
First I ‘hiked’ over the railway bridge over the Potomac toward Maine. Then I ‘hiked’ toward Georgia and the AT conservancy. We even saw some hikers in town. Heading south was more like the trail I miss so much. I didn’t have my hiking gear or boots so the rocks and uneven path were difficult to navigate. I passed Jefferson rock where Thomas Jefferson stood overlooking the Shenandoah River and said something significant.
My intentions were to hike to the conservancy which is a blue blaze trail and goes into a small town but Lyle was being a cry baby Sally, so we went back and caught the bus then drove to the Conservancy.  Everything you want to know about the Appalachian Trail you can find out there. I looked at the book to see if I could recognize any of the people I met in Georgia but I didn’t see anyone. I don’t think any of them wanted to take the time to stop and see it. I’ve grown to love the Appalachian Trail. It’s become a part of me and I want to become a part of it. I really like that it’s marked so ‘Tripper’ has a hard time getting lost. (I may get turned around but I’ve never been lost).  I like that it has been maintained by groups, societies and clubs for over 80 years. I want to see it all- all the shelters and wildflowers. I have a book now of the wildflowers on the AT. Not just the Smoky Mountains. I love the physical aspect of having a goal and exerting myself every day to achieve that goal, that shelter, that next town. I want to see and explore every little town along the way.


Everyone I speak to still asks if I was alone. For me, ‘alone’ is the only way to truly experience the trail. I believe in the words, “You have to hike your own hike”. If I would have had my gear and boots, I would have left my husband behind. No one can really understand unless they have hiked the trail with the attitude of seeing and experiencing all of it. It’s a part of me now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment