Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day forty

Tripper's feet
Rangely, Stonewall, JP and I all took pictures of each other and headed out of No Business shelter around 8 a.m. The boys took off and left us and I kept up with Rangely for a little while. It was only 5.7 miles to the Nobchucky River so we expected a short hike. I spotted the Temple Hill sign and took that trail until I realized it was a blue blazed trail so I followed it back up and promptly followed the AT back to the shelter. You could have heard my "NO!" reverberate through the treetops for miles. My being directionally challenged is usually funny until it's not funny anymore. Turning today into a 14 mile hike with sore feet was not funny. I was mad. Mad that I didn't read that Temple Hill sign and see that it was blue blazed. Mad that I didn't check my compass when I got back from the bottom of that trail. I allowed myself a few tears, but I was mad at myself for not being more aware. My mad got me to Uncle Johnny's hostel in 3 hours. I saw a few of the young boys that passed us yesterday and Sully, who must have laid over and took a zero day. I took my boots off and threw them away, and waited for Lyle. I'm glad I'm off the trail for a while. I need to let my feet heal, and I'm looking forward to my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment