Monday, November 26, 2012

     It takes some preparation to get ready for the AT. Lots of gear. You need a tent. Bub wanted me to get a two man tent and I said, "Why don't we both get one man tent?" He said, "No" I don't know exactly what his reason was but I'd like to think it was so we wouldn't have to carry as much between us. Who knows, I got a two man tent, that I can put up in about nine minutes. I was putting it up in the Missouri Ozarks at our little cabin and didn't stake it the first time. The wind came up and my little tent started rolling toward the water. Note to hikers: Always, always stake your tent. Also, I feel it's kinda small for two people, but I'm trying to think only the best of my brother-in-law.
     You also need a sleeping bag for two seasons, a cook stove, water purifier, walking poles. I didn't understand THAT until we hiked in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Trying to ford a stream with just your good balance could be disastrous. Hiking boots are only good for about 500 miles, then it's time to get new ones. Clothing that will "wick away the moisture from your body" and a backpack to hold it all. I went to Bass Pro to get my back pack and told the cute young man what I wanted it for. To his credit he didn't laugh or even change his expression. He said he would have to measure me to get the right fit. He was so cute, and helpful. My pack fits perfectly. You need to buy food and a rope to hang it.  My niece, Amy told me about her husband who hung his food only to have a raccoon climb the tree and open his bag. The bugger was going through it like a dissatisfied shopper throwing down what he didn't like. Jeff was happy to get his granola bar back and some other things but he had to wait until the raccoon was finished with it's lunch to move on. You also need a little hand shovel to bury your poop. "Leave no trace" They recommend digging a hole about 18" deep, roughly 200 ft from the Trail. I figured I'd go about 1/2 mile from the trail because I don't want anyone walking up on me with my behind hanging out. So, I think I'm set, a couple of grand later, except for the small self inflatable pad that goes under your sleeping bag. Oh yeah, I definitely need one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment