My friend CJ told me she would hike the AT with me. We talked a lot about it and even hiked on the Little Blue Trace Trail a couple of times. She has been a good friend and supporter for a long time and we began discussing this when we were both still working. I was so excited to have a partner, at the same time I was thinking that I wouldn't get the "alone" time I wanted and yes, needed during this hike. But, during a recent 6 mile hike with a full pack she broke the news.
Now, I have to take a minute to talk about my "full pack" I have crammed all kinds of things into my backpack, but I don't have all my stuff yet. I've been trying to make it heavy and also fill it with things I need, but the bottom line is...I don't have all my stuff and I don't know how to pack a pack. I'm close and mentally, I am ready and my pack it heavy. CJ and I talked about our packs and at the end of our 6 miles while we were waiting for my husband, Lyle to pick us up, she asked me how much my pack weighed. I don't know, our scale doesn't work. We tried to figure out how I could find out but then it hit me. I don't really want to know. Nothing good could come from me knowing how much I'm carrying. I'm packing it the best way I know how with the things I think I'm going to need and I'm hiking the Appalachian Trail. Period.
First, CJ tried to convince me that we should start hiking the Katy Trail in Clinton, Missouri. We could make reservations at the B&Bs along the way until we get to St Charles, Missouri. I kept my temper and disappointment under control and I told her that I would be happy to hike the Katy Trail with her next year but, I was going to start hiking the AT in a couple of weeks. She worked on me a little bit more, pointing out that YOU'RE NOT A HIKER. Ouch, true, but it still made me mad. Come on, she's the one that's been encouraging me. It seems like she's the only one but, I know in my heart that I have lots of people rooting for me and I'm going to do my best not to let myself down.
No comments:
Post a Comment